Haiti: My Heart's Calling...

You have shown me what life is really all about...it is love and determination that makes us able to feel...it is with each breath that we take, our eyes are opened to the surroundings...it is you and I, together, that make the world worth living for...

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

31,000 lbs of Rice!!!!!





Last night at 11:30pm the truck from Dominican Republic finally came in with all the newly distribution goods. All the Si Bro and I went to help unload the truck. I am the only girl that unloads the truck with all the Si Bro, because I can do the work no problem. I even last longer than a lot of them. I am not a very girly girl and like to do that kind of hard labor. They refer to me as "Woman made out of steel." It is pretty funny. We had a 40' truck came in and we started to unload. We started with all the boxes of instant noodles that were already in our storage unit, which took about an hour to do. All 1,240 boxes of instant Chinese noodles were passed onto the trucks in assembly line style. After the noodles were loaded on, we started to load the 25 lb bags of rice. Another Tzu Ching and I loaded all 1,240 bags of rice onto the truck with our bare hands. That is 31,000 lbs worth of rice!!!!!!!! Yes, it was awesome. Good work out for sure. We finished around 2am and the distribution was schedule to leave at 4:30am. I went and finished some reports and went to bed around 3am. One hour nap again....

Today we had another big distribution. This was done at an older site that we had previously distributed at. This time we are giving all the families a bag of rice and a box of instant noodles. It was kind of a surreal feeling to be back at the first distribution site that I was a part of with the last group. It brought back many different memories, both funny, sad, and proud. I was having mixed emotions all through out the morning we were there. A new group had a new process, but at an old site. We were with the Jordanian army and I recognized most of them from the previous rotation. We did a new song called "Hello Hello" with all the people. They were very happy and danced the whole way to the goods. It was a blast. The distribution went over smoothly and I actually had time to film a MV with Da Ai Television. I am not sure what it looks like yet, we shall see.

After the distribution, a group of us went directly to the Free Clinic at the National Soccer Stadium to help out. I wanted to see if the cards that I made last night worked or not. It turned out to be really good. Each color represented a different department and the lines worked out very well. The clinic is coming along and we hired a couple more local nurses to help with changing dressings. It is still a work in progress, but very good sight to see.

It is already Wednesday. Time is passing by in lighting speed. All the Si Guo and Si Bro have been talking about when they are leaving....Saturday...Sunday...Monday.....my departure time is nearing....but I don't feel like it's quite time yet....

No comments:

Post a Comment